Reign Over Me

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

4 GOOMBAS

Surprising as it may sound to those of you who know me, it took me a while to realize that I am a perfectionist. I like everything in order and every detail in place. Why? Not because I think its the best way but because I think it's the right way. It can get scary. I organize my DVD's by genre then alphabetical order. I like putting on my sweats and cleaning. I'm like Monica from Friends. Yet once I realized that I'm a perfectionist, it became astonishingly easy to know when I needed to let go.

Don Cheadle stars in the tragic drama, Reign Over Me, with good friend Adam Sandler. A successful dentist living a perfect yet unfullfilled life, Alan Johnson (Cheadle) sees his old and now haggard roommate Charlie Fineman (Sandler) on the streets of New York. Fineman has been lost to society since his wife and three daughters were killed in the September 11 attacks, and when Alan approaches him, Alan is surprised to find that Charlie, his bright, quirky, old friend is no longer all "there." As Alan makes the decision to help and support Charlie through his inner turmoil, he begins to notice that he's just as much of a mess as his friend, and in the end he realizes that Charlie is helping him as much as Alan is helping Charlie.

This film has a lot of class and cinematic style; its thoughtful, full of sorrow, and it focuses on the important things that matter in emotional relationships, like connection and responsiblity. Though both actors are known for their comedic talent, they surprised me with their ability to create such a sympathetic and bleak atmosphere. In some shots, the subject is brought out of focus at a transitional moment, representative of the characters' detachment, either to society or to his family. Reign Over Me is like body language. This movie isn't about what was said. It isn't about how it was said.

Adam Sandler is always a constant surprise. He's done some pretty strange and horrible movies, but his performance in this film is no fluke. He made a perfect, deranged Charlie Fineman

Not as mentally anguishing as you'd expect, Reign Over Me is poignant and hopeful. Although I don't remember actually listening to the song the movie references, this movie tells me that it's all about letting go; letting go of loved ones and friends and letting go of the perfection that he worked so hard at achieving, and that's a powerful message for a control freak like me.

Movie Review by Jenn Bollish at 7:05 PM  
0 comments

Post a Comment