Death At A Funeral

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

3 GOOMBAS

The first dark comedy I ever saw was in college, my freshman year. It was the Royal Tenenbaums, and as much as I'll be persecuted for saying this, I hated it. Next was Pumpkin, my sophomore year in college. I hated that too. Then a Gross Point Blank and Heathers later, I was sure I hated the genre. Wait! Before you throw that rock, I luckily watched Shuan of the Dead and realized that somewhere deep down, I could like dark comedy. It just had to be British.

Death At A Funeral comprises an ensemble cast which includes Mr. Darcy (Matthew Macfadyen) and a slew of other recognizable British actors. Daniel's father has just passed away, and when the funeral home brings his father's casket to house, it turns out to be the wrong body. This opening scene sets the tone for the entire film. As the story progresses, Daniel's father's private sex life is revealed, acid is inadvertently taken by the fiancé of the deceased's niece, and and the death of an unexpected visitor occurs.

When I popped this baby into the DVD player, I had no idea what I should expect. I hadn't even read the synopsis, so as the plot unfolded, it just got more and more absurdly funny. Each scenario feature in Death At A Funeral was darkly inappropriate and it put a hilarious spin on a traditionally sad familial experience. I think that it was even funnier because it was British. Don't as me why. I say what I think; I know not what I do.

I don't think I can say anymore about this film without explaining the different situations the characters found themselves in; which would be taking an edge off of the funny. The only other thing I have to say on the subject is, after Little Miss Sunshine, I realized that I can definitely like dark comedy. It doesn't have to be British.

Movie Review by Jenn Bollish at 6:43 PM  
0 comments

Post a Comment