The Painted Veil

Sunday, January 14, 2007


5 GOOMBAS

This movie isn't a movie. It is 100% a film. When I think art, I think of The Painted Veil, and I have never, in my life, seen a film so beautiful.

Based on the novel by Somerset Maugham, The Painted Veil is a romantic period piece set it the 1920's. What's so different about this film is its portrayal of how love is, how love evolves and changes, and how love is different for everyone. Walter loved Kitty right from the start. He married her regardless of how selfish, spoiled, and self absorbed she was. And then he hated her. Actually, they hated each other. But this film's beauty resides in their journey to find their own kind of love through respect and admiration, and how both characters are able to change and grow into people that were better than who they once were. To me, this film was truly able to express a deeper kind of love that we all wish we were a part of.

Beautifully told and gorgeous to look at, The Painted Veil has probably become my favorite film and Edward Norton my new boyfriend. I can't say anymore because my words will just make the film seem ordinary. I will never be able to describe this film as gracefully as it is on the silver screen. Just go see it for yourself.



Updated 05/08/07: Although the film is breathtaking and a definite favorite of mine, the DVD (which just came out today) itself is quite a disappointment. Just cover art, cheap case, and DVD. No slipcover, no insert; the cover art doesn't even express how beautiful the film is . . . I'm sad.

Movie Review by Jenn Bollish at 11:26 PM  
0 comments

Post a Comment