Spiderman 3

Friday, May 04, 2007


2.75 GOOMBAS
Currently, I can hear my friends talking in the kitchen, pretending that they have the ability to re-write the movie. But unfortunately, they cannot. I think they probably could have done a better job, but at the same time, everyone wants to be a director. ;) I can't tell you how excited I was to participate in the viewing of the first major blockbuster of 2007. I busted out my Spidey t-shirt, bought tickets way in advance, and braced myself for a wait in line. Does this sway my judgment on the final goomba rating? Maybe, but I'm going to try and stay objective.

Spiderman 3 is packed full of big badies. Three to be exact. All three were worthy of their own film but were unfortunately crammed in a 2 and a half hour movie that they were forced to share. It kind of worked out in the end (with an emphasis on kind of), where
****************SPOILER WARNING*********************
Gob Jr. and Spidey team up against Sandman and Venom to save MJ. Side note: If the writers had focused on this part of the plot a little bit more, I think this would have raised the goomba rating a lot.
***************SPOILER END*****************
In addition to that, our friendly Spider, struggles with his own vices (ie revenge, wrath, and conceit). He's basically got a full plate in front of him. Sucks to be him.

I understand that in most action flicks, the storyline and plot are secondary to the explosions, fight scenes, and special effects. Yet that's what made the Spiderman movies good. They took the time to write a decent script, follow through with the plot, give the character's depth, and all the while giving us fantastic, bad-ass webage. This movie was none of these. In number 3, Spiderman started the movie as a huge dork with a big head. Nothing like he was at the end of Spiderman 2, but more like he was at the beginning of the first Spiderman. Then he was Emo Spiderman and then was Partriot Spidey, literally with red, white and blue flag waving in the background. It was like he took a huge step back in character growth for the sake of arriving at the same place he was in the last movies. Why? I don't know. Maybe they didn't know how to make Spiderman's character grow anymore than it already had, so they decided to just make it look like he learned something new in the end of this movie.

In addition to multi-personality Spiderman, Venom was kind of a disappointment. He was totally just thrown in there. "Hi I'm Topher Grace, please give me pointy teeth, and I'm good to go." Not to mention MJ. She must have ESP or a really great gift for forgiveness because her character didn't know that Peter was Emo Spidey when he hit her, nor did she know that Harry decided to not be evil anymore, let alone know he was evil in the first place. Yet she treated both as if she knew what was going on with their characters as much as the audience did. How? Psychic I guess. Lastly, they could have done so much more with Sandman . . . he had such humanity to his character. What the writers did wrong was that they portrayed a good man who made a few bad choices, a good choice. Then made him Godzilla Sandman, killing and smashing people with no transition, a bad choice. Finally back to the good man scenario, also no transition, bad choice. Bi-polar Sandman needs to make up his mind.

All I know is that when I left the movie I was disappointed. But because this is Spiderman 3, it is automatically worth watching, so just kind of roll with it and maybe (and hopefully, for the sake of your $10) you'll disagree with me.

Movie Review by Jenn Bollish at 11:11 PM  
0 comments

Post a Comment