Waitress

Sunday, June 24, 2007

3.5 GOOMBAS

I love food movies. Maybe it's because of my favorite hobby, eating like a pregnant woman. I have a talent for consuming a large quantity of food and then immediately crave dessert right after. My personal best was at a Las Vegas buffet where I pounded 4 full plates of food, went 2 rounds with dessert, then ate a slice of pizza, followed by a bowl of clam chowder. Then I stuffed chocolate tarts in my purse for later. Mmmmm, yummy. . . so of course I was quite taken by the preview for Waitress, staring Keri Russell and some glorious pies.

Jenna is a waitress at a small pie diner, in a small town, and she leads a pretty small, unfulfilling life. Her only escape from her controlling and selfish husband is to dream up different pie recipes; Marshmallow Mermaid Pie, I Hate My Husband Pie, Kick Me In the Pants Pie. All pies, a manifestation her own life. She finds out that she has been impregnated by her husband (I Don't Want Earl's Baby Pie), and the role of mother didn't exactly spark a smile on her unhappy face. She eventually begins a comical affair with her OB/GYN.

******SPOILER WARNING*******
But for advocates of the Dr. Pomatter saving Jenna from her husband scenario, it just doesn't happen. Its only in the end that she realizes the pie that she is baking in her own, personal oven, is the pie that she's been waiting for her whole life, and its through this pie, that she finds the confidence to begin a life of her own.
*****SPOILER END*****

Overlooking some weirdness in tone, the style and comedy of this film is what I would imagine Tim Burton doing if he weren't so dark and obscure. Waitress was kind of like the first hour of Edward Scissor Hands; perfection exaggerated and colorful. Visually, it was wonderful and cheery; facilitating the comedic aspect of an otherwise sad story.

A piece of pie can move anyone, even if this movie doesn't, but that's what it's all about any way; finding your way through life to get to your slice of heaven, whatever that is.

Movie Review by Jenn Bollish at 11:08 PM  
0 comments

Post a Comment