Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Thursday, March 06, 2008

3 GOOMBAS

<---This picture kind of freaks me out.

Back in college, we had this assignment. We had to bring in a movie clip and analyze it. Well, one girl brought in the opening scene from Elizabeth. I'd never seen it before, so she pops it in and then, I proceed to freak out. Now if you know what I'm talking about, bare with me for a sec as I describe the segment. It begins with an aerial view of a medieval crowd, and then you realize that, as the camera pans closer to the ground, there's a group of people tied to poles with firewood surrounding their outer perimeter. Some soldiers begin to light the wood, and the citizens tied to the stakes begin screaming in horror. Then the camera pans around the unfortunate souls as they burn to death. ::shudders:: So you can see, I was not looking forward to watching Elizabeth: The Golden Age. I didn't want to experience middle age torture vicariously; however, luckily Elizabeth 2 wasn't good enough to suck me into its reality.

Cate Blanchett reprises her Academy Award winning role as Queen Elizabeth I in this sequel to 1998's Elizabeth. The Virgin Queen is back; this time with her eye on a handsome Sir Walter Raliegh and the Spanish Armada and a vindictive cousin are out for her crown. With her ladies in waiting constantly at her side, Elizabeth searches for a suitable partner, and is smitten with the famous explorer who brings goodies from the Americans. She wages war against the Spanish Inquisition, has a few people tortured and executed, all the while still maintaining a surprisingly delicate and just nature.

Some general comments. I was a little confused about the Elizabeth's relationship with her lead court lady. It was kind of lesbianesque, which is cool, if that's what the filmmakers were implying. However, from my research, Queen Elizabeth wasn't gay, so I'm just going to disregard those strange bath time moments as a different kind of friendship. Then there was Clive Owen, whose tan made him very nice to look at, and his slightly arrogant air made him interesting and charming. The plot was eh. It didn't have a very provactive ending, and it sure as heck didn't have an engrossing plot arch. If you know anything about history, nothing is a surprise, so all that's left is Cate. Cate Blanchett was my pick for the Oscar. She was the perfect mix of ravage, sensitivity, and curt politness. You did not want to mess with her, but feel sorry for the Queen all the same.

I watched Elizabeth: the Golden Age because Blanchett was nominated for an Academy Award for her performance. That is the only reason why you should watch this mediocre flick. Watching for any other reason, other than possibly History class, would be a mistake. Its kind of boring.

Movie Review by Jenn Bollish at 9:18 PM  
1 comments
Anonymous said...

FYI - I wouldn't even show this in a history class

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment