Miss Potter

Thursday, July 26, 2007

3 GOOMBAS


Even though Miss Potter has been #1 in my queue since it was first release on DVD (June), I still haven't received it and finally had to resort to Hollywood video (since I try not to give my money to Blockbuster). I'm annoyed. I'm being throttled. . . I may cancel my membership ::gasp:: I know, right? But I can get all the older movies from the library . . . such a money saver. Anyway, on to the review . . .

Miss Potter is based on the life story of Beatrix Potter, the author of the classic children's story books like The Tale of Peter Rabbit. A period piece, the focal point of this story revolves around Miss Potter's first love and her new-found literary success.

A real heartfelt film, Miss Potter is simple and genuine. Renee Zellweger's performance of Beatrix was right up her Bridget Jone's alley. Beatrix lacked confidence yet was righteous; soft yet unsinkable. You can't help but admire the clueless Miss Potter when the banker told her she had earned enough money from her "silly children's books" to buy not just one estate, but multiple. In your face Beatrix's mom! My only critique is the talking animal pictures . . . that seemed largely out of place. It also made Miss Potter seem like an immature head case who'd been confined to a closet for majority of her life. I felt it very unnecessary.

There was nothing magnificent about this film, but it had that extra something that makes it slightly admirable. A great watch on one of those lazy summer afternoons when you just want to be swept away for a few hours.

Movie Review by Jenn Bollish at 2:11 PM  
0 comments

Post a Comment