Ratatouille

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

4 GOOMBAS

I went to the movie theater with very high expectations for Pixar's latest animated edition. In my mind, it was already a 5 GOOMBA film, considering Pixar's reputation and all the reviews I'd already read. But obviously from the rating I gave it above, I wasn't astounded by the lovable rat. However, it was a good movie, and better than some in Pixar's collection of gems.

Ratatouille is a computer animated motion picture staring Remy, an average, everyday rat with an extraordinary sense of smell. Unlike his counterparts, he palette for taste is highly peculiar since he is, after all, a forager. Beggars can't be choosers, and this picky rat can't eat anything better than superb. For a while, it looked like Remy would never be the chef that he wanted to be, until he met Linguini, a clumsy kitchen boy who couldn't cook if his life depended on it. Well, it turns out for Linguini that his life did depend on it, and Remy, AKA "Little Chef" helps him.

At the beginning of the movie, I had a serious flashback moment to An American Tail. Luckily the direction Ratatouille took was very different (not that I didn't like An American Tail, I loved it. I just didn't want to watch a regulation). Speaking of flashbacks, favorite part was the Anton Ego's flashback moment. That was priceless. However, not nearly as funny as other Pix-flicks, the story still comes first, giving it a permanent place in the classic vault. Classy and simple, this tale is a refreshing change from the blockbuster, in-your-face, flashy, action-packed, bigger-than-life films of this summer.

Also worth mentioning was the amazing CG. I couldn't get over the bread! The bread looked like real french bread! I wanted to pluck it out of the screen and eat it . . . it looked way better than any french bread I'd seen. Not to mention all the other glorious food generated by man's new best friend, the computer. I love food!

Anyway, go see this movie! And eat before you watch it so you don't get hungry!

Movie Review by Jenn Bollish at 1:19 AM  
0 comments

Post a Comment